Monday, August 9, 2010

Peripheral Blood Stem Cell Donation: An Open Letter to My Recipient

Dear "Lily,"

You may be wondering why I chose to call you "Lily". Well, it seemed too impersonal to just write "Dear Recipient," so I tried to think of names to call you. At first I was going to call you "Annie-Mathilde" after my grandmothers. They were both strong women who came to this country with nothing but were able to build two beautiful families that came together when my parents married in 1948.

But then I though of something else. I've never had children and most likely never will. If I ever had a daughter I thought I might name her after my favorite flower - the lily. So even though I have never known the beauty of giving birth to a child, I hope in my small way that I'll be giving life to you. Even just the thought of giving you a second chance is a legacy that I will be proud to pass on.

I hope and pray that you are doing well. I say a healing prayer for you every day.

All my best, Your Donor

[All contact between me and my recipient must remain anonymous for at least the first year]

No comments:

Post a Comment